Currently the Singapore Patent Office (IPOS) is an ISA/IPEA country for PCT applications filed in Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, Thailand, Uganda, USA and Vietnam. Our unique feature is that IPOS is able to conduct searches directly in both English and Chinese for prior art documents in both languages. However with effect from 1st July 2020, this service is expanded to include the Republic of Korea and Lao.
Other earlier developments
- A Search and Examination Report issued by IPOS is accepted in Cambodia and Lao for the grant of a patent.
- PCT applications may also leverage the regional work-sharing networks such as the Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) and PCT-ASEAN Patent Examination Cooperation (PCT-ASPEC) to speed up the patent search and examination process.
- IPOS has established PPH pilot programme with Brunei, China, Mexico and the European Patent Office.
- IPOS also participates in the Global Patents Prosecution Highway (GPPH) pilot programme which has a network of over 25 participating offices, including the Japan Patent Office, USPTO, Korean IP Office and the German Patent and TM offices.
- The ASEAN Patent Examination Cooperation (ASPEC) is a regional patent work-sharing programme comprising of the 9 ASEAN member countries such as Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Applicants may utilise the search and examination reports of participating IP offices to accelerate the patent process in the other participating countries.