On 4 May 2020, the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (“IPOS”) launched a new patent acceleration programme for innovation in all sectors called the “SG Patent Fast Track programme”. This programme replaces the FinTech Fast Track (“FTFT”) and Accelerated Initiative for Artificial Intelligence (“AI2 ”) which were launched in 2018 and 2019 respectively.
Under the SG Patent Fast Track Programme, patent applications in all technology fields which are first filed in Singapore can utilise the SG Patent Fast Track programme to have the patent granted in as fast as 6 months. This programme will run from 4 May 2020 to 29 April 2022. There is no fee for acceleration until further notice.
Qualifications for this programme :
- The patent application must be first-filed in Singapore, i.e. no priority claim;
- The patent application must contain 20 or fewer claims;
- The request is within the cap on the number of requests per month (at least 5) imposed by IPOS; and
- The request is within the cap of 10 requests per year per entity (individual or corporate).
At the time of filing the patent application together with a request to proceed under the SG Patent Fast Track Programme, the following documents are also required :-
- Request for Search and Examination Report.
- Reason(s) for requesting acceleration and the request for technology field to which the invention relates. Possible reasons for acceleration include the patent application is for an emerging technology with a short product lifecycle (eg: FinTech, Industry 4.0 and Artificial Intelligence) or a technology with an environment or public health cause (eg: food security, mitigating climate change, waste water and smart energy management, and therapeutic agents to combat COVID-19).
Timelines to observe
- Upon receipt of the formalities examination adverse report, the applicant must respond within 2 weeks , and
- Upon receipt of the written opinion, the applicant must respond within 2 months.
If you have an application which meets the above requirements and would like to benefit from the programme, do feel free to contact us. We would be pleased to assist you.