The Ministry of Commerce, Myanmar, has announced that the soft opening for re-filing trademarks under the new Trade Marks law will start 1st October 2020 and will last for six months.
Who is eligible to file under the soft launch?
(1) All existing registered holders of trademarks in Myanmar i.e. trademark ownership declarations already lodged with the Deeds and Documents Registration Office.
(2) Owners of trade marks not registered but are already in use in the Myanmar markets with support of evidence of prior use.
Particular requirements for filing :-
|Recorded Mark||Used Mark|
|· Owner’s name and address
· Clear specimen of the proposed mark;
· Classes and list of goods and/or services (identical to those already recorded with the Registrar of Deeds);
· Claim of priority (if any) and its supporting documents;
· Claim of colors of the mark;
· A scanned copy of the recordation of the declaration of ownership or renewal the Registrar of Deeds;
· If the trademark is already used in Myanmar, evidence of use and the first date of use.
|· Class and list of goods/services
· Tax receipt showing use of the mark
· Evidence of promotional activities featuring the mark
· Evidence of actual use of the mark in Myanmar
· Any other documents showing any use of the mark
- If the applicant name is not the same as the one registered with the Deeds and Documents Registration Office, additional evidence of assignment of the mark must be furnished. Where the name of the applicant has changed, relevant documents evidencing the change of name must also be submitted
- In applying the trademark applications, a mark registered at the Deeds and Documents Registration Office and a mark which is actually used in the markets of Myanmar must be identical. Goods or services that the trademark is being used must also be the same. Any additional expansion of classification of goods or services will not be considered.
- When describing the goods or services classes, the classes of goods or services shall be according to the Nice Classification
Forms and Fees :
The forms and fees will be announced before 1st October 2020.
We will keep you updated as soon as more information becomes available.