Myanmar will start its trademark registration system in January 2020. The new system will be implemented in two phases.
Phase 1 – from January to July 2020
All trademarks registered up to 31 December 2019 under the current system of Declaration of Ownership may be refiled under the new system, and may claim seniority rights.
Phase 2 – July 2020 onwards
All new trademarks may be filed from July onwards.
The documents required are: –
1. An original legalized Power of Attorney
2. Description of goods/services in accordance with Nice International Classification of Goods 11th edition.
3. A clear representation of the trade mark
4. Certified copy of the priority document where priority is claimed
5. Fees (details yet to be released)
The above is a brief summary based on information presently available.
We shall continue to provide updates when available.
Update: developments in Myanmar are delayed in view of the current worldwide pandemic of Covid-19